Thursday, June 11, 2009

Strength...of my Bones...of my Soul

So, this week has been an interesting adventure. After being told in April I was Vitamin D deficient, I had a bone density scan last week. And low and behold I have Osteopenia, the 1 step before Osteoporosis (actually my spine is on the brink of this).

Yeah...I know! I'm only 25 years old but I have the spine of an 85 year old! What's the cause? That is yet to be determined. I've had some tests done (so far everything is normal) and I will have more tests later this month. Lots of questions and no answers.

Now, as much as this has consumed my thoughts and time on the Internet researching every aspect of this condition, I've considered how this problem relates to my spiritual life.

Lately, I've noticed that more of my posts have been focused at my "political" blog rather than this one, and of course that reflects my state of mind. Does your faith life ever have ebbs and flows like mine? One month I can't get enough of Catholic radio, but then the next month I can't get enough of Conservative Talk Radio. Of course this jumping from faith to politics and back again is a familiar exercise for me. I can't quite explain it but I've always been that way. I think it's because I tend to direct my passion toward the challenge of the day.

However, my trips to the land of Politics are often too long and detrimental to the health of my soul. The prayer life suffers! I wake up wanting to know what happened in the world over night rather than offering up my morning to God. It's a real "grace deficiency" you might say. Like my bones, my spirit is brittle and more easy to break...my temper is more easily flared and my patience needs a bit more "calcification".

OK...maybe you think that analogy is a stretch. But think about this: the more cokes I drink the worse my bones will be. The same goes for being a couch potato and not engaging in weight bearing activities. (*ahem* carrying around a 20 pound child half of the day).

So before I drink my FoxNews Cola, I need my daily dose of prayer vitamins and grace minerals. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"...and my bones too please??

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this very thing yesterday! I often focus so much energy on one interest that everything else is pushed aside. For me right now it is the wedding. And my prayer life is suffering, too.

    I will pray for you and this situation. Is the ostopenia reversible? Does anyone else in your family have this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In theory, yes it's reversible, unless I have another underlying problem that's working against me. (Still exploring this) Both grandmothers have Osteoporosis, but I shouldn't be dealing with it this young.

    ReplyDelete