

Something I noticed with this last pregnancy was that my maternity clothes were very tight! They were no longer built to accommodate baby, but rather let baby "hang out" and bulge through for the whole world to see every angle (the boobs too). Like this:


There are 4 new shirts I bought last year while pregnant that I can still wear today! And then a few bonus shirts that look JUST like the clothes at the store today.
The silver lining in all this is we no longer have to pack the maternity clothes away...just leave them on the hanger....it's fashionable! (Although WAY too confusing. Is she pregnant or not?)
Let's play a game. Maternity shirt or not?

Answer: Both...(if the model were pregnant)
Is this supposed to be a new way to "dress up" our heavier culture, or are women subconsciously envious of the cute pregnant girl?
I feel like the "cute pregnant girl" image has faded away because EVERYONE is now that "cute"...and to add to the confusion we don't know if you are pregnant until you're about to give birth and you can't help but notice.
Shopping for maternity clothes is a rite of passage for the new mom and a unique experience for a time. That priveledge is now open to all. And the post pardum me would like to buy a normal shirt!
*sigh* Will the New Mom every get her pedestal back?




My sister is pregnant with her first baby and is just disgusted with today's maternity fashions. They are either too tight or "show too much." And as Catholics who want to have modesty during pregnancy it is really difficult. I am the mother of 5 boys and when I was pregnant you could at least find some decent clothes but not today. Where can us Catholics find decent, modest maternity clothes. Yes we also pray our family Rosary everyday.
ReplyDelete