Thursday, August 13, 2009

Burqini's Rock!

Have you heard the recent controversy of a French Muslim banned from wearing her Burqini at a public pool? It was supposedly for hygiene reasons. I've never heard of a Burqini but I think they're kind of nice. I have no use for the head covering, but the modest fashion is appealing to me.


Some would say I'm being too prudish. But you know, I don't wear my underwear in public so why should I mimic them with my swimwear?? Maybe a short sleeve and capri version would be nice.

Apparently we have short memories because less than 100 years ago, this swimwear was seen on our shores:


I searched this winter for a "modest" bathing suit. Every one piece I found had a cleavage slit down to my naval! I finally settled on this boyshort fashion from Blair. I wore it for the first time recently at a family reunion. I felt more modest than usual, but still not as covered as I would have preferred.



However I just ran across these today at WholesomeWear.com:


So they may seem a little "dorky" to some, but I applaud their creative solution. I'm considering this for my girls and myself. Do you think they'll ban us from the pools for hygiene??

4 comments:

  1. There is a lady at our apartment who wears clothes similar to the burquini, and she wears them down at the pool. Aaron has even seen her in the pool with her clothes on. I actually envy her a bit. Her body is a mystery known only to her husband, and her culture actually supports that. What happened to women being mysterious creatures?

    That being said, I am currently wearing a bikini (boy short style) to swim in. I bought it last year (when I looked better in it) but have found that this year I am a bit embarrassed in it. I quickly jump in the pool and quickly cover up when I get out. I looked for a one-piece at Target, but like you, I've found that the one-pieces are more immodest than my current bathing suit. Not to mention that one-pieces rarely (if ever) come in a boy-short type style.

    I do think those suits at the bottom are a bit "dorky". Why not go with something more contemporary, but still modest, like quick-dry shorts and a rash guard shirt (http://www.triplejsportswear.com/Kids/New-in-Kids/Snapper-Rock-Long-Sleeve-Swim-Set.html) or a wet suit type thing (http://www.triplejsportswear.com/Shop-By-Category/Eco-Friendly-UV/UPF-Wear/Girls-UV-Protective-Full-Body-Swimsuit.html)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your suggestions. Yes, those others were a little dorky, but I like the feminine touch to them, at least for children. We don't swim alot in public anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true - at least you could tell they were for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned about this other place that makes modest swimsuits. It's worth checking out: www.swimmodest.com. It seems like they only have one style, and a limited color/pattern selection, but it is modest and tasteful. I have a friend who is working on making her own modest swimsuit - if I like it, I may just ask for her to coach me in creating some for myself and my girls!

    ReplyDelete