Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Natural Lifestyle: Diapers

I've been so busy these past few weeks getting ready for the kids schooling I haven't gotten around to my "Natural Lifestyle" posts as promised. A friend of mine asked me about cloth diapers, so I thought I'd at least start there.

Yes, I've considered cloth diapers. It was one of my goals even prior to this natural transition. We are getting a bigger and more efficient washer/dryer soon, therefore I would be willing to try this. I'm not even quite sure what this entails but since potty training my son has been an endless challenge, I feel like I'm already cleaning dozens of under pants. What's the difference?

It's actually not on the top of my "natural parenting goals list". Why? Well, it will not effect the natural/unnatural upbringing of my children (unless our diapers are laced with some toxin I don't know about). Method of waste elimination is not as important as say the food the child ate to begin with.

However, it's cost efficient and a labor of love. Spiritually it would be humbling and even more sacrificial than it already is. *sigh* We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Labor of love and sacrificial...for sure. Actually, that's one of my hang-ups as I'm not sure the other parent around here would appreciate those humbling aspects. Lol. My main draw is the cost factor.

    Very true that it doesn't affect the children really. But I think maybe it does set a good example as far as taking better care of our resources. And not to get all green here, because I'm very far from green, but I do think we can do a better job of taking care of our planet. However, a better first step for me would probably be recycling, but I don't do that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been cloth diapering for about 7 months now, with my 18 month old. It was a bit of an adjustment, and some work, but it isn't all that bad. Definitely a labor of love at times. Finding the right laundering method can be a pain, too, but it goes along with the "labor" factor. I think the key to cloth diapering is to get the diapers that you LOVE to use and only get those...and buy them as you can afford them.

    The initial cost is a big factor. I've slacked off the cloth diapering lately since my son is outgrowing the ones we have and I am having a hard time justifying buying the ones I REALLY want (I have prefolds with covers, but I want the all-in-ones that happen to be about $15/diaper - yikes!). All things considered though, I would say go for it when it is financially and laundrily appropriate for your family!

    Just as a side note, I have many friends who cloth diaper who strongly feel that the disposable diaper chemicals and materials ARE toxins to our children's skin. While I haven't looked into it myself and don't really plan to, it's something to consider. My choice to diaper was to (in the long run) save money, and being less lazy (because, aside from the cost factor, my disposable diaper use is basically due to laziness). I don't like the whole "500 years in a landfill" but I sometimes feel that, everytime I toss out a used diaper, I am throwing out a dollar. So I would say I am not on the green bandwagon, nor the "natural as granola" bandwagon, but closer to the natural!

    ReplyDelete