Friday, April 2, 2010

The Many Memories of April 2nd

I wanted to share what this special day means to me. You may be thinking, "What is it? Did her husband propose? Did she have a baby? Did she receive a special gift?". Well, technically, none of the above, but I guess you could say the events of April 2nd are a gift in some way.

5 years ago today, our beloved Pope John Paul II passed from this worldy life to join the saints and angels in Heaven. I'll never forget that day since I was at a Youth 2000 retreat sitting before the Blessed Sacrament when I was informed that he had finally passed away.

1 year later, on that very same day, my son John Paul was Baptized into the church becoming a child of God. Coincidence? Of course not! Our love for JP2 became a prayer for a son and our prayer of Thanksgiving was sharing in this saint's special day.

Today being Good Friday makes it all the more special. I've always been fascinated with this day since it's the only day of the year when the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is NOT celebrated. And the irony of "Good" in its name is worth pondering in and of itself. How can something so horrific be "Good"? But of course what is better than remembering the consumation of the new covenant, the ultimate payment for our sins, and the perfect act of Love that IS Christ Crucified. I think we should start calling it "Best Friday".

No comments:

Post a Comment